Wednesday, March 28, 2007

World Champion CON

For many years I have been bemused by the amount of World Champions there are in the Combat Disciplines so I started to investigate an area I know something about that is Sombo/Sambo. I first trawled various web site on the Subject and was amazed at how many World Champions the USA has produced having entered my first World Championships in 1985 and involved in one capacity or another since then, I was some what dubious especially as I know the dominance the Eastern block has had in the past and still does I began to check. Many people criticised the breakaway Sombo Group who found a nesting place under the auspices of FILA (For the uninitiated FILA run International Wrestling Olympic Style and Greco Roman, FIAS is the Sombo/Sambo recognised by the World Governing body for sports GIASF) for running a World Championships claiming that it was a Mickey Mouse affair, this was some what unfair as they did have 13 countries competiting. Admittedly none were top quality teams from strong Sombo/Sambo countries and when it was reported USA asked a Beach Wrestler to enter the event even though he had never competed in Sombo and then he went on to win the event did put the whole thing in context, what was important is that he actually competed he did not know the opposition but had the courage to get on the mat as far as I am concerned he is a FILA World champion but not a FIAS World Champion who notably had over 30 countries at their event. There have always been occasions when there is more then one organisation, one will have a higher standard then the other, my problem is those Somboist who claim to be a World Champion who never fought for them. Yes there are several people who have had a Walk Over in a so called World Event who put on their CV they were a previous World Champion, surely this is a fraudulent claim and apart from that what real competitor would claim a title without a match? I can understand you sometimes want to put bit of gloss on your CV and sometimes you may win an event where there are only two or three players but at least you fought and hopefully if asked you tell the truth.

Am I wrong to be critical of these people? Maybe one them can reply and explain.

Martin Clarke

No comments: