Monday, January 28, 2008

Nuala has her say on Mixed Sex Judo

As I have said I will always welcome comments from readers so long as they are constructive and they following is from Fionnula Brenchley-Sayer 1st Dan

Hi Martin I know I am out of touch but I assume that junior coaching is stillmixed? If as Richard says there could be a liability issue over this, why would it be different for training. Personally I don't think it would be a good idea to mix the sexes for competition But I assume this is down to lack of numbers and stopping the joke of getting a medal without a fight.
I fail to see how this could be achieved in training. Most clubs would struggleto separate the sexes. But there is more contact in training, lesssupervision (look at how many people are looking as 2 players in competition) and surely more likelihood of injury. Hope this is not the thin end of the wedge as far as juniors are concerned. I believe that as the female players get older they benefit from being coached as women. I tried to fight like the men in competition and train like you all, it doesn't work. Some people do not like it but there are physiological and physiological differences between the sexes andcoaching should (in my opinion) reflect this. I have watched many girls/youngwomen in competition trying to use upper body strength like the men andfailing. Like in schooling I believe girls/women would benefit, if not flourish,from tailored coaching possible even separating them. Unfortunatelythere are not enough women in judo to do this. But maybe this is the cause? Women and young women may not feel confident or comfortable fighting with men. I think this may discourage them. Just a thought, hope you don't mind an "outsider" commenting.
Thanks
Nuala

No comments: