Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ippon a New Book

A very good friend of mine Lurch (Ian Durie) from Scotland, is a prolific reader of Martial Arts Books and is extremely knowledgeable, he regular sends me down books to read. Most Martial Books are about : How to do i.e. explaining how to do techniques etc after 53 years training in Judo etc these become very tiresome, most authors are trying to convince the readers they have reinvented the wheel, next are auto biographies or biographies on how great they author is or how great the authors subject is. So when Lurch sent me the book entitled IPPON! “The fight for Judo’s soul” by David Hammond, I thought GOD have I really got to read this? Am I glad I did for this book is a little gem it relates the History of Judo from when Kano started and ends up explaining the history of British Judo, the author relates some of his own opinions which I found extremely interesting , although I thought he was bit hard on one of my mentors Geoff Gleeson. I have not me the author but he obviously understands what Judo is and you get a feeling reading the book that it was written by some who is passionate for the WAY of Judo to continue rather then slip into obis.
Ippon “The Fight for Judo” by Dave Hammond London League Publications Ltd PO Box 10441 London E14 8WR and all of you must read “The Pyjama Game”

One Final point although I have great respect for Jigaro Kano especially his Philosophies on Judo and its relationship with producing better Human Beings, I find it very hard to get my head round the fact that he did not start Jiu Jitsu until he was 17 years old and was a Master of 2 styles by the time he was 20 years old, some one who accordingly to legend was a “Physically weak boy”. I have taught Judo etc since I was 20 years old I am now 58 in 38 years I have never met or seen a Master at such a young age (I use the term Master in a Martial Arts context meaning ultimate practitioner) in fact I have met many Budoka from all over the World and would only suggest that a very few of them I would consider worthy of the title Master. By his early twenties he had invented Judo a completely new concept? Many years ago I wrote an article suggesting that Kano could have seen Cornishman practising Cornish Wrestling and suggested that this young man would have seen a concept unknown in Japan Fighting (Wrestling) without the intention of injuring your opponent and remaining friends after the bout, plus remember Jacket Wrestling is not unique to Japan. The Judo purist will pour scorn on me as some sort of anti Christ but it is not my intention to ridicule Kano you only have to read his life story to realise he was a remarkable man. What I am interested in is separating fact from fiction by questioning the myth, I would be very interested in a proper historian looking into greater depth into the early years of Jigaro Kano but he will need a n open mind.


Martin Clarke

No comments: