Monday, September 26, 2011

Kenshiro Abbe

I have never been one of those who makes a God out of a Martial Art Instructor but occasionally you do get the odd Martial artist who catches your imagination. One of hem has to be Kenshiro Abbe 8th Dan deceased both my parents were in his association and both received their Dan Grades from him. I met him several times but I was only 10 or 11 so did not take much notice he was just another Jap who was floating about in the early 1960’s. As I got older he was becoming a cult figure not with my parents I might add who treated him as a normal person who was extremely good at Judo.

The reason I tell this story is because someone sent me some old Film footage of him demonstrating some techniques and the Kaeshi Kata. He had some beautiful movement I especially enjoyed watching his hane goshi his hiza guruma was some what suspect but he had a good uke.

With Judo numbers dropping through the floor and with people refusing to compete I am wondering whether we need a Renaissance to Judo becoming a Martial Art again instead of a competitive jacket wrestling sport.

Do watch this Youtube clip it is well worth it

No comments: